As I have said before, I collect quotations. I have thousands of them written or typed on 3 X 5 file cards. Today I’d like to share a few of these quotes with you. I randomly chose the letter F. So here are some quotations filed under F.
1. Failure is just another way to learn to do something right. (Marian Wright Edelman)
2. The formula for failure: Try to please everybody. (Herbert Swope)
3. Strong faith in a weak plank will get you wet. Weak faith in a strong plank will get you across the river. (anonymous)
4. (In honor of the baseball playoffs!): Faith is living between first and
second base. Faith is the in-between space where you’re not sure you’ll make it to second base. You’ve let go of one thing and haven’t yet latched onto another. Most of us choose the security of first base. (Richard Rohr)
5. The opposite of faith is not doubt; it is certainty. (Anne Lamott)
6. People are shaped the most not by what they want but by what they fear. (anonymous)
7. Fear is not a bad place to start a spiritual journey. (Kathleen Norris)
8. We must constantly build dykes of courage to hold back the flood of fear. (Martin Luther King, Jr.)
9. What would I do if I were not afraid? (Martha Manglesdorf)
10. Aeronautics was neither an industry nor a science. It was a miracle.
11. Can the magic of flight ever be carried by words? I think not. (Michael Parfit)
12. The one who seeks revenge should dig two graves. (Chinese proverb)
13. Forgiveness is having given up all hope for a better past. (Anne Lamott)
14. When we forgive, we don’t deny the hurt that we have received. We don’t deny that it was wrong… But we acknowledge that there is more to the offender than the offense. (Archbishop Daniel Pilarczyk)
15. Every generation of Americans needs to know that freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought. (Pope John Paul II)
16. Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. (Janis Joplin song in the early 1970’s)
17. A free press has a major function of keeping the government itself informed as to what the government is doing. (Walter Cronkite)
18. Making up your mind is like making a bed; it usually helps to have
someone on the other side. (Gerald Horton Bath)
19. Between good friends, just drinking water is sweet enough. (Chinese proverb)
20. Friends are family you choose for yourself. (Jane Addams)
Some of us have heavy hearts… with the tragedy in Las Vegas… the devastation of the recent hurricanes and earthquakes… and other troubling news… The song today is “God Is Love” by Natalie Acciani. I find this song hauntingly beautiful. I especially love the lines: “only love can end the madness, only love can heal the pain.”
Did any of these quotes stand out for you? If so which one and why?
Do you have a quotation about one of these topics that you would like to share with us?
Any other thoughts about this reflection or song?