It is time for another visit to my quote collection. Those of you familiar with my blog, know I have a huge collection of quotes I have amassed since I was a college student! Every now and then, I like to share some of these quotations with you. Here are 18 quotes I have filed under life:
1. “Life is not a spelling bee, where no matter how many words you’ve gotten right, if you make one mistake, you are disqualified. Life is more like a baseball season, where even the best team loses one-third of its games and even the worst team has its days of brilliance.” (Rabbi Harold Kushner in How Good Do We Have to Be?)
2. “The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest.” (Thomas Moore)
3. “How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.” (Annie Dillard in The Writing Life.)
4. “Seek not for fresher founts afar, Just drop your bucket where you are.” (S.W. Foss)
5. “Be the person you want to marry.” (Jason Evert)
6. “When the pond dries up and the fish are lying on the parched earth, to moisten them with one’s breath or damp them with spittle is no substitute for flinging them back into the lake. Don’t enliven people with doctrines; throw them back into Reality. For the secret of life is to be found in life itself—not in doctrines about it.” (Fr. Anthony de Mello, SJ in Taking Flight.)
7. “When order crumbles, Mystery rises.” (John Shea in Stories of God.)
8. “It is sad to grow old, but nice to ripen.” (Brigitte Bardot)
9. “Just pray for a tough hide and a tender heart.” (Ruth Graham)
10. “Dreams and dedication are a powerful combination.” (William Longgood in Voices from the Earth)
11. “See everything. Overlook a great deal. Improve a little.” (Pope John XXIII)
12. “Why wait? Life is not a dress rehearsal.” (Marilyn Grey)
13. “It is easier to reject a hurting world than to embrace it with compassion.” (Eugene Kennedy in A Time for Being Human)
14. “Most of us have an idea how we think our days should go. We want nights of undisturbed sleep, regular meals and calm homes with a certain amount of order. But in our quest to keep order, sometimes we overlook the fact that some of the most important moments in our lives are unplanned. Through the cracks in our days often come life and love and moments of connection. (Mary Beth Danielson)
15. “Beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing, there’s a field. I’ll meet you there.” (Rumi)
16. “Your life must be one wild birdsong of praise, one wildflower’s face looking up to God.” (Janet Stuart)
17. “Life is a luminous pause between two great mysteries (birth and death), which themselves are one.” (Carl Jung)
18. “We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” (Inscription on an astronomer’s grave, Allegheny Observatory, University of Pittsburgh.)
Did any of these quotations speak to you today? If so, which one(s)?
Do you have a quotation about life that you’d like to share with us below?
PS: I ask your prayers for a gathering of the four American provinces of my congregation the Sisters of Notre Dame July 9-12 in Columbus, Ohio. Next year we are becoming one province–something we have been working towards for several years. Sisters from California, Kentucky (Covington), and Ohio (Cleveland and Toledo) will be meeting to discern leadership, to share faith, to get to know each other a little better, and to have some fun. Thank you for your prayers!
Our song today is called “Human Way” by the Canadian singer/songwriter Declan Donovan. (I thank a good friend for calling my attention to this song.) The song asks some good questions for all of us to reflect on: “Is there still time to live your life?… Have you been holding back so long, so long, so long?”
As usual, I encourage your responses below: