This week, as we in the United States celebrate our national holiday called Thanksgiving, I went into my quotation file and pulled out some quotes to mark this beautiful day. I suggest you read them slowly and prayerfully.
1. Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but also the mother of all others. (Cicero)
2. No one can be grateful and unhappy. (Anthony de Mello, SJ)
3. When we practice counting our blessings, our blessings multiply. The very act of saying “thank you” opens the heart another notch in receptivity. (Julia Cameron)
4. When eating a fruit, think of the person who planted the tree. (Vietnamese proverb)
5. If I bewail the times in which I live, I’m throwing God’s blessings back into God’s face. (St. John Henry Newman)
6. Were there no God, we would be in this glorious world with grateful hearts and no one to thank. (Christina Rossetti)
7. Joy is the simplest form of gratitude. (Karl Barth)
8. Gratitude is an engine of generosity. (Frank Cunningham)
9. The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see. (Mary Davis)
10. God gave you the gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say “Thank you”? (Wm. A. Ward)
11. When I am grateful, I am neither rushing nor slouching through my day–I’m dancing. (Bro. David Steindl-Rast)
12. Dorothy Day wanted only two words on her gravestone: Deo gratias (Thank God).
13. The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it. (Richard Bach)
14. Gratitude turns what we have into enough. (Anonymous)
15. Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. (Mary Jean Iron)
16. Say “thank you” a hundred times today and you will discover you are a millionaire. (Edwards Hays)
17. Praise incessantly, hold high expectations, laugh, sing out loud, celebrate without ceasing the good luck of getting set down here on a lively earth. (Barbara Kingsolver)
18. If the only prayer you say in your whole life is “thank you,” that would suffice. (Meister Eckhart)
Did any of these quotes stand out for you today? If so, which one(s)? Why?
What does Thanksgiving Day mean to you personally?
Do you have any quotations on gratitude and thanksgiving that you would like to share with us?
I want to thank each one of you for reading my little blog, “Sunflower Seeds.” I never take your readership for granted. Today, in a special way, I thank God for every one of you! I also ask God’s blessings on you and your loved ones!
I opted for a traditional Thanksgiving song today, “Now Thank We All Our God,” with choir and full organ. The language might be a little “old fashioned” in spots, but the message still rings true.
Please share your thoughts with us! We all love hearing from you!