As many of you know, I collect quotations. I have drawers of 3 X 5 cards filled with thousands of quotes from a wide variety of people. I started doing this as a college student. I file my quotes under topics such as adversity, beauty, happiness, Jesus, love, prayer, writing, etc. Today I will share 20 quotes filed under life. This category has the most quotations in my collection. I suggest you read these quotations slowly and prayerfully. As you do, ask yourself, does this quotation resonate with my experience and beliefs? Or do I disagree with it? Or would I modify it to more accurately reflect what I believe? I hope you have some fun and gather some inspiration from these!
(1) The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved: loved for ourselves, or rather loved is spite of ourselves. Victor Hugo
(2) No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt
(3) When asked by an inquirer if he were God or a magician, the Buddha responded that he was neither. “What are you,” the person insisted. The Buddha said, “I am awake.”
(4) Lord, when we are wrong, make us willing to change. And when we are right, make us easy to live with. Peter Marshall
(5) Everything that happens to you is your teacher. The secret is to learn to sit at the feet of your life and be taught. Polly Berrien Berends
(6) Let us live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain
(7) If you want an accounting of your worth, count your friends. Merry Browne
(8) All the art of living lies in the fine mingling of letting go and hanging on. Meister Eckhart
(9) Whether we are living or dying, what counts is being there. If we’ve set up permanent residence in the past or the future, the pain and joy of the present can’t bless us. Sr. Macrina Wiederkehr
(10) Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. Carl Jung
(11) There is no object that we see; no action that we do; no good that we enjoy; no evil that we feel or fear, but we may make some spiritual advantage of all. Anne Bradstreet
(12) Both what we run away from and yearn for are within us. Anthony de Mello, SJ
(13) There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it ill behooves any of us to find fault with the rest of us. James Truslow Adams
(14) Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful. Annette Funicello
(15) Fortunately, psychoanalysis is not the only way to resolve inner conflicts. Life itself still remains a very effective therapist. Karen Horney
(16) Rules for the road: 1) What appears to be a detour may be the most important leg of the journey. 2) It’s okay to ask for directions. 3) Too much concern for safety is dangerous. 4) “Enemies” and “aliens” make the best travel companions. 5) Sometimes we travel farthest by sitting still. Anonymous
(17) Why wait? Life is not a dress rehearsal. Marilyn Grey
(18) Forget about productivity once in a while and give yourself permission to goof off. Amy Morin
(19) Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If you are still alive, it isn’t. Richard Bach
(20) Our life is a faint tracing on the surface of mystery. Annie Dillard
Are there any quotes that touched you today? If so, which one(s)? Why?
Do you have a favorite quote that helps you to live your life well? If so, you can add it to the comments below.
Did any of the pictures in today’s reflection captivate you?
The video I chose is called “Wonderful Life” by Matthew West. It is a tribute to his friend, Ron, who struggled several years with ALS. I couldn’t find a version with the printed lyrics, so let me give you a few of the verses:
“Life can send you flying high… it can bring you to your knees… It’s filled with heartbreak and happiness and everything in between…
Life’s a mountain and a valley, a cradle and a grave…
You laugh until you cry, you cry until you hurt… can’t have one without the other…
Life isn’t always wonderful, but it’s a wonderful life… and this life isn’t all there is.
Life’s broken and beautiful, gone mad and magical, and awfully wonderful life.”
I invite you to comment below on the quotations… the pictures… the song…